In short, AXP is a "dating service" between readers and authors. These are real people, not employees. I can't force them to do anything. These are not paid reviewers.
Important things to know/RULES:
- You will be providing readers with the free books to read. You can gift them through Amazon, send people to BookFunnel or Instafreebie, email them files...whatever works for you and them.
- There is no guarantee reviews received will be good. These are honest reviews by real people. But since you can talk to the reviewers directly, you can politely request that if they don't like your book, please don't review.
- Readers should understand they must note on their review that they received a free copy. (Per FTC/Amazon rules) I've told them but be sure to remind them.
- While you can ask if a reader is in the Amazon KU program and if they'd be willing to read the book through that, authors may NOT require or ask reviewers to BUY their book. Sales are not the point of this program. Readers DO report such actions to me and authors will be removed from the program for this.
- Any book is eligible, though AXP reserves the right to refuse a book.
- If you don't receive at least 8 reviews through the Elite Readers, we'll run your book again and get you more reviewers. If for some reason you still aren't having any luck you'll be refunded. This rarely happens but some books are tougher than others!
- You get more reviewers through the regular Read & Review, but there is no guarantee how many will review.
- If readers don't get back to you, forget them and move on or go to your USER MENU after logging into the AuthorsXP.com site and go to Elite Dashboard. You can hit a button there to trigger an email to them reminding them of their request. (ELITE REVIEWS ONLY.)
- You'll get a permanent spot in our book database and a temporary advertisement on our site
- You expose your books to more readers and possibly get more reviews and fans
- Great for getting "minimum reviews" required by promotion sites for new books
Difference between READ & REVIEW and ELITE READER Reviews
R&R: You get more readers/emails (30). Works best for those unafraid of working directly with readers (not scared to poke at them if they haven't reviewed). No guaranteed reviews but a potential for 30!
Elite Readers: AXP will poke at readers not responding. More motivated reviewers. Costs a little more, fewer reader contacts provided. (15 ish) 8 guaranteed reviews.
What about Amazon?
Amazons Review Guidelines (10/3/16) stateBook authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=14279631 That means you can still give away free copies in the HOPES of getting reviews, but you can't give away free copies "in exchange for review."
Tips for the Programs and Working with ReviewersAfter Signing Up You Must Add Your Book to the Database!
- Login and click on "Add Your Book" under the USER MENU
- Fill out the form to add your book. It will be approved and added to book library!
- Your book cannot be presented to readers until it is in the AXP library.
- For each request you are sent - send them back something touching base like "I'm going to gift you a Kindle copy from Amazon, does that work?" (or however you'd like to provide them with the book) just to be sure they're on the planet before you send them something. If they don't get back to you, forget them and move on or go to your USER MENU after logging into the AuthorsXP.com site and go to Elite Dashboard. You can hit a button there to trigger an email to them reminding them of their request.(ELITE REVIEWS ONLY.)
- Send them any format you like (that they can read). When you send it, you can tell them you'd love a review but that it is not required. A book "in exchange for review" violoates Amazon's TOS, but you can still give them one and request a review.
- DO NOT ASK THEM TO BUY THE BOOK. Sales are NOT the point of the review program and this will anger the readers who signed up for a free book.
- Ask them to let you know once they've reviewed.
- REMIND THEM TO ADD THE PHRASE "I received a free copy of this book" to their review! That's an Amazon law and FTC. Tell them NOT to use the phrase IN EXCHANGE FOR REVIEW.
- Make an email template for sending to readers and save yourself some time!
- If the same person requests copies of multiple books, feel free to send them one at a time.
- If people haven't posted after two weeks, feel free to poke at them a little.
- Most people handle Out of the US requests by emailing them mobi, epub or PDF files or sending them to links where they can download them (some people use services like Book Funnel)