In short, AXP is a "dating service" between readers and authors. These are real people, not employees. I can't force them to do anything. These are not paid reviewers (that would be against Amazon TOS).
Important things to know/RULES:
After Signing Up You Must Add Your Book to the AuthorsXP Library!
- Login to AuthorsXP https://authorsxp.com/login
- Click on "Add My Books to the AXP Library" in the USER MENU that appears after logging in. https://authorsxp.com/add-my-book/add
- Fill out the form to add your book. It will be approved and added to the permanent book database.
- If your book is already in there, you don't have to add it again
- ADD A WAY FOR PEOPLE TO GET YOUR BOOK FOR FREE
There are now fields (at the bottom of your library listing form mentioned above) in your book description for you to add Bookfunnel links or upload files. These files will show up directly in the reader's dashboard so you don't have to try so hard to email them the book or the links only to have them go to their spam.
Elite Reader Dashboard
In the USER MENU area, you also have a dashboard where you can login and see who has requested your book, who has reviewed (including any comments they might have left) and remind readers to please read your book by clicking a button.
YOUR 'TO DO' LIST
1. Add your book to the AXP Library so I can activate it for reviewer. https://authorsxp.com/add-my-book/add
2. In the library, add a file(s) or link(s) for readers to get your book for free.
3. When you receive notice of a request, you can respond to them any way you like. They will be sent a link to their dashboard to download your book though, so you don't have to send them the file.
4. You can trigger a "did you get my book?" mailing from your ELITE REVIEWER DASHBOARD if you think your emails aren't getting through. https://authorsxp.com/sadmin/eliteauthor_dashboard.php
There is no guarantee reviews received will be good. These are honest reviews by real people. But since you can talk to the reviewers directly, you can politely request that if they don't like your book, please don't review.
Readers should understand they must note on their review that they received a free copy. (Per FTC/Amazon rules) I've told them but be sure to remind them.
While you can ask if a reader is in the Amazon KU program and if they'd be willing to read the book through that, authors may NOT require or ask reviewers to BUY their book. Sales are not the point of this program. Readers DO report such actions to me and authors will be removed from the program for this.
Any book is eligible, though AXP reserves the right to refuse a book.
If you don't receive at least 8 reviews through the Elite Readers, we'll run your book again and get you more reviewers. If for some reason you still aren't having any luck you'll be refunded for the missing reviews. This rarely happens but some books are tougher than others!
TIPS FOR INTERACTING WITH READERS
DO NOT ASK THEM TO BUY THE BOOK. Sales are NOT the point of the review program and this will anger the readers who signed up for a free book.
Make an email template for sending to readers and save yourself some time!
If people haven't posted after two weeks, feel free to poke at them.
I'M NOT GETTING REVIEWS, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
1. If you log into the site and then go to USER MENU you'll see a link for Elite Reader Dashboard where you can see your chart of requestors. You can hit a button there to remind people you haven't heard from them. This email is then sent from my system instead of your email, so there's a better chance it will get through spam filters. If that doesn't raise the dead, let me know and I'll send them a note from my personal email asking them what's up, did they get the book, are they almost done, etc.
2. These are real people and not employees and each person has his/her way of doing things. (I wish I could have paid review employees but we'd be breaking Amazon rules). So between people's schedules and spam filters, there are a lot of reasons your results could be delayed. Do stay in touch with readers but don't hound them.
3. The elite readers you see on your dashboard with "NO" for released means that person has too many books outstanding. You can send your book to them if you want, but I give ELITE readers FIVE book requests before I cut them off. To continue, they have to review the ones they have. So this person might have just fallen behind or they might be a bad bet for getting a review.... If you want, you can send them an email and let them know something like:
"I see you requested my book for review through the AuthorsXP Elite Reader's group, but the release status is set to "NO" because you have too many books outstanding for reviews. You can have more books released to you (including mine) by reviewing your outstanding books and marking them reviewed in your Elite Reader Dashboard located here: http://AXPBooks.com --- if the books you have outstanding are not books you want to read to review, you can mark them "not reviewing" and that will free your queue as well!"
WHAT ABOUT AMAZON?
Amazons Review Guidelines (10/3/16) state
Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=14279631 That means you can still give away free copies in the HOPES of getting reviews, but you can't give away free copies "in exchange for review."
- You'll get a permanent spot in our book database and a temporary advertisement on our site
- You expose your books to more readers and possibly get more reviews and fans
- Great for getting "minimum reviews" required by promotion sites for new books